Thursday, October 3, 2013

Coincidence? I THINK NOT.

My good friend, Maggie, made this comment the other day. "There are no such thing as coincidences. It's just times that the Spirit remains anonymous."

I'm pretty sure that is the most accurate statement to ever be made in the history of all time. Ever.

We will start with a story from last week. Last Sunday, to be exact. As you all know, my good friend Maggie is now on an adventure in New Jersey working as a nanny. Has it been the hardest thing ever? Why yes. Yes it has. But that's not the point of this story! 
So. 
Every Sunday (we try to make it every Sunday), Breckell Souifua, Maggie, and myself make our way to the Bountiful temple to just walk around and talk about life and all that is happening. It's one of my most favorite weekly traditions. With last Sunday being our last chance to do this, we made the decision to venture to Salt Lake City and walk around Temple Square. Best. Night. Ever. 

We took pictures, chatted, walked in silence and just took in the spirit of the temple. As we were leaving, we happened upon a group of Polynesian individuals singing to the sister missionaries that were heading back to their apartments. We sat and listened as they finished the song. They said goodbye to the sisters and Maggie jumped at the open opportunity. She asked the singers if they would sing one more song for us. They were hesitant at first. We started talking to them about random things. They asked if we were going on missions, which we all replied yes to and that I had my call. 

That's when the magic really began. 

They said they were going to sing a song of verses straight from the Doctrine and Covenants about missionary work. I was in tears. The spirit was so unbelievably strong, I couldn't keep my emotions inside.

We sat and thanked them for singing that amazing song for us. Maggie requested another song, I Know My Redeemer Lives. They weren't as excited to do this. We talked with them about how this was our last weekend together and that we never came to the Salt Lake temple for our Sunday adventures. Maggie started crying and you could see that they knew they needed to sing. The two boys of the group decided on a mash up of I Feel My Savior's Love and I Know My Redeemer Lives. 

I never wanted the song to end. It was exactly what we needed as friends. All three of us started crying. The spirit was SO strong. I didn't want it to end. As soon as the song was over, the singers all said how they felt that they needed to come to temple square that night. I have no doubt in my mind that it was for us. 

Coincidence? I think not. There was a reason we went to Salt Lake. There was a reason we happened upon a group of singers that weren't even planning on going that night. I think Heavenly Father knew that we needed that. 

As we drove back to Maggie's house, there was complete silence in the car. Mags cried most of the way home with the realization that she was leaving. We say in her driveway for about an hour and a half just talking. 

Okay. Not really talking. More like sobbing. 

I think that it was all part of the plan that Maggie, Breckell, and I all became close. We need(ed) each other, more than ever. 

Side note: If you read this whole post, I love you and think the world of you. 

NEXT STORY

So I'm at work the other day. And it was SUCKY. I'm not even kidding. I've never had that bad of a day before. Normally work is the thing that makes me feel better. Not this time!

It was Wednesday. The day that my BFF had officially left for New Jersey. I came into work crying because I had never felt more alone. I had 0 friends. My boss and one of the supervisors came to check on me and I was just a wreck. They hugged me and said it was all going to be okay. 

Sure, sure. That's what they all say. 

So I'm out on the sales floor when who walks in? Noel Greenhalgh! I about shouted with joy. I ran over to her and she gave me the biggest hug! We say and talked for a bit. She took one look at me and knew something was up. (She is fantastic at reading people.) I told her about Maggie and how I was feeling more alone than ever. At first, she joked saying now I could come see her and hang out with her more. 

Really though. I will. 

After joking around for a minute, she became serious. She looked and me and said, "I wasn't going to come in today. I had no reason to. I have so much to do at home. But I had a feeling that I needed to come in and see if you were working. I think this is why."

Coincidence? I really don't believe so. Noel has been there for me a lot these last few months. Having her show up at work and just talk to me was exactly what I needed. She knew what to say, she told me that I needed to come hang out with the kids, all of that. I was on the verge of tears the whole time. 

The spirit works in mysterious ways. 

So-called coincidences of my life:

1. I had my best friends. People I thought I would never separate from. But Mags and I were so lucky to have seminary together last year. We started to talk and now we have an "eternal friendship" (inside reference between the two of us) 

2. The mission age changed right as my hips were at their worst. The mission age changed right as I didn't make the high school soccer team. The mission age changed when I decided for myself that I wanted to marry a young man worthy to take me to the temple. The mission age changed when I had no clue where I was going to go for school the next year. 

3. Hispanic couples keep coming into work and talk with me. They speak Spanish and I have to try and decipher what they are saying. 

4. I'm speaking Spanish on my mission. I want to be a social worker when I return home. Knowing two languages will be so beneficial. 

5. My sister is my number one go to person. We are so ridiculously close right now. 

6. I wasn't supposed to run cross country in high school. I probably ran about 5 races and then stopped. But I met the most amazing guy from it. 

These are just a few things I think of when I think of "coincidences". I think the Heavenly Father and Christ have a plan for us. They know what we need, when we need it most. 

These last few months have been some of the most spiritual times of my life. I couldn't be any more grateful for this amazing, perfect, beautiful gospel and all that we have been blessed with. 



No comments:

Post a Comment