Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Companions to Friends to Sisters

The view from the top of my first house in Benemerito, Arbolillo. This was my first area where I served for four and a half months. My first companion was Hermana Alvarez (26) from Cuernavaca, Mexico. We were together for the first six weeks.

 After my first transfer, Hermana Alvarez was transferred and I received Hermana Garzon (25) from Bogota, Columbia. She taught me everything from how to teach to how to study and how to be a missionary. We were together for three months in our little Benemerito. 

**************
I was then transferred!
**************
 
I had finally been moved from my little 4-streets-by-4-streets area. I was going to transfer to the zone Linda Vista 1, and I was heading for the ward, Vallejo. We showed up at transfers, and I met my new companion! Hermana Rodriguez (22) from Tijuana, Mexico. 
I had finally gained enough confidence to speak the language, and we went CRAZY. I loved my time with Hermana Rodriguez. We had so much fun together. Truth? My first little bit in Vallejo was rough. I didn't want to be there, and I really struggled. Thankfully, my companion was my friend and kept pushing me. We saw so many miracles in this area. We knew we would only be together for a short time, though. Hermana Rodriguez was transferred to Villa De Las Flores after 6 weeks. 
**************
When we got the calls for transfers.. I remember everything. We had been eating tacos with our bishop and mission leader at about 11:00 at night. Elder Barber, my zone leader, told me that Hermana Rodriguez would be leaving. Cue my tears. Then he went on to tell me that I would be... wait for it...
TRAINING!!!
I freaked. I didn't feel ready at ALL. I felt as though I needed more time to get the language down.. to understand the area.. know the ward. But of course, I didn't have a say in any of this. It was all in God's hands. Monday morning we went to transfers and I jumped in Presidents car, and off we went to meet the newbies! 
**************
We walked in and saw all the new sisters. We were all waiting for president, and knew he was going to be awhile. The assistants numbered us off and sent us out to contact. I was paired with Hermana Gomez (19) from Veracruz Mexico. We went out, and it was AWKWARD. Normally, I could talk with anyone, but with her, it was hard! We went back to presidents house, and he was getting ready to pair us up. I knew, knew, KNEW that I would be paired with Hermana Gomez. President said, "Hermana Gomez... your companion is... HERMANA HAMILTON."
 
 I died. I knew it was going to happen. We headed go our area, and started out. I didn't know WHAT we were going to do, but it had to be good. For the first few days, we didn't talk that much. She was really quiet.. We had our first companionship inventory on Thursday, where we both told each other, "Okay. I'm not a serious person like this.. can we joke and laugh please?" She went on to tell me that I was intimidating. 
Hermana Gomez and I were together for 6 short weeks, before I came home. I will forever be grateful to Hermana Gomez. She was my best friend in the mission, my daughter, and the best companion that I ever had. I learned SO much from her, and loved our time together. We saw miracles, we baptized, we worked, we had fun.
***************
I may have only had 4 companions.. but I can honestly say that I learned from each of them. Something different, absolutely. But they did affect my mission, and change me for the better. I have such a testimony that God loves us so much, He will always put those people we need in our life.
People will always come and go. There is a reason. We may not know why we meet or need certain people, but it is for something. Who knows, maybe we need to learn something from them. Or maybe, just maybe, they need to learn something from US.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment